Pebbles, Sand, and Silt
The Pebbles, Sand, and Silt Module provides experiences of Earth's
natural resources– rocks, soil, and water–and provides opportunities for
students to engage in scientific and engineering practices. Students explore the
natural world by using simple tools to observe and describe properties of earth
- Observe and compare physical properties of rocks and soils, using various
- Rub rocks together and observe that they break into smaller pieces.
- Use screens to separate and group river rocks by particle size, and investigate
properties of pebbles, gravel, sand, silt, and clay particles.
- Explore places where earth materials are naturally found and ways that earth
materials are used.
- Use sand to make sculptures and clay to make beads, jewelry, and bricks.
- Find, collect, record, and compare samples of soil outside the classroom.
- Investigation 1: First Rocks
- Investigation 2: River Rocks
- Investigation 3: Using Rocks
- Investigation 4: Soil and Water